Originally broadcasted on ABC-TV as a special presentation, this documentary journey across America takes us on the spiritual paths of people who feel the pinch of just being alive, people committed to a more complete understanding of themselves in relation to the larger mystery of being - whether they call it "God", or "the true nature of reality", or simply "wisdom and compassion". It ventures out with those who are experimenting with native spiritualities. It peers into the nourishing silence with people who are probing ancient eastern disciplines. Eminent spiritual teaches of our time guide us on this journey:
- Thich Nhat Hanh, a Buddhist monk from Vietnam, helps veterans of that war and their families heal their emotional wounds by transforming anger into understanding.
- Bede Griffiths, a Benedictine monk who lived his life in India, combines Christian mysticism with the essence of Hindu spirituality.
- Matthew Fox draws on Hebrew and Christian scriptures to uncover the ancient tradition of "creation spirituality" which invites us to gain nourishment in our link with all living things.
- Charlotte Joko Beck of the San Diego Zen Center works with people of all religious back-grounds to bring them into a new awareness and appreciation of the ordinary moments that make up a life.
- Brother David Steindl-Rast and Rabbi Jack Bemporad offer insights which have universal bearing on the transformation of pain and suffering.
Search for Spirituality (1994)
Duration: 57 minutes
Directed by John Ankele & Anne Macksoud
Where to Rent/Buy
- Vimeo from $1.99